Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Things To Think About

I've been working on my genealogy off-and-on for about 40 years. I have some lines stuck around 1830 and others connect to the royal lines and go back "forever." I'm also doing my husband's line and have worked on my son-in-law's. 

Sadly, most of that information has not been put into the computer. I tried at one time to keep up as I went along but then I lost that information. It's a lot more fun to do the research than to sit and input all those details. 

So most of my research is still in books. 


Or boxes and file cabinets.


Not to mention the photos. Old ones in archival boxes and newer ones in those cheap boxes from Michael's. (Even though I hate to admit that.)


I've been thinking a lot lately about what will become of this information, not to mention the family heirlooms.

My daughter and I talk about this often. She lives in a small house and has two boys. She doesn't know if they will eventually be interested in this stuff. So it has to be narrowed down. We've talked about the "dish avalanche" as each generation seems to add a set of dishes. She already has her own, plus a set from her paternal great grandmother, and a set from her husband's family. I have my mother's set and my own.

Last week I had lunch with a genealogy friend and we were discussing this dilemma. Technology has already passed us by many times as computers and genealogy programs have changed. It isn't always easy to keep them updated. It has me concerned.

So, I came home and asked about that on one of the genealogy blogs I follow. Randy Seaver has a great blog that covers all aspects of genealogy with great links and tips. He wrote a blog post about my concerns, which he is concerned about too: GeneaMusings   (Thank you, Randy.)

I have never felt comfortable putting my genealogy onto the Internet. As you will notice if you read the comments, others are concerned about their work being taken. I'm also concerned that so much of the information out there is incorrect. So many things to think about.

For now, I just need to get it put into some format. I need to scan the main documents and transcribe others. I need to scan those boxes of photos, identify them, and make them available to others. I need to clear stuff out so my daughter won't have to deal with it when the day comes.

It is daunting. Especially when I'm also doing historical research and spending hours at the computer writing articles and working on a book.

As hard as it is to think of these things it must be done.

How are you preparing for the future of your family data and heirlooms?