Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Changes


Sometimes you dream something, or do something for many years and then some of the magic disappears. There may not be a reason you can put in words. Or there may be a lot of reasons.
Sometimes it's just time to move on.

I've been in that place for awhile with my writing. I've taught classes, lead workshops. and lead groups for years. I enjoyed it all.

I've written many stories in the groups in which we had a prompt and then spent 10-15 minutes writing whatever came to mind. I loved doing that.

Here are some of the journals I've filled over the last few years.



A few months ago I started noticing that I wasn't enjoying the process any more. I wasn't interested in  reading articles or books or even listening to speakers on the subject.

Finally had to admit to myself that writing fiction just isn't what I want to do. I've never done anything with all those stories so those journals are going in the trash. Another part of the changes is clearing out.

I do want to continue researching and writing history. To me, that is a totally different thing, although there are some things that carry over.

So, I am letting go of the last of the groups I belong to and giving up the leadership of a group I started about a year ago. I took a lot of time to make this decision. I didn't want to let the group down, but I don't feel like I'm doing as good a job because my heart isn't in it.

One of the ladies asked what I am going to do. Genealogy seems to have popped back up on my radar and I've been spending quite a bit of time helping a distant cousin who wants to get in to DAR. I may or may not have the records she needs but I'm having fun looking.

I will continue with my articles and the book which will combine a number of them in one place.

I hope to get back into my art which has been completely ignored the last few months.

Changes are happening and although I'm always a bit leery of change I think these will be good ones.

Maybe I'll even spend more time training Lucky. He's been ignored a bit too. Getting a photo of him has always been a problem. I finally got this one of him standing still, but his eyes are closed. He takes after me.