Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Ancestral Fathers


Since I did all the mothers in my ancestral line last month I thought it only fair I give equal acknowledgement to the men.

I never knew my dad. My parents were divorced when I was very young and I have no real memories of him. By the time I was old enough to make contact he had died in a car accident. 

So growing up in a household of women I never think of the men in the ancestry as much as the women. I was pleasantly surprised as I started looking at photos to realize I have more photos of the fathers in my direct line than I realized. 

Starting with my dad I realized I had a few photos of the men with their cars. Seems appropriate. I think he was rather proud of this one. 


 
Here are four generations. My paternal grandfather, Sam, in the middle and his father on the right. 
That is my uncle and one of his children. I'm happy to be getting to know a cousin on this line who is telling me about these people. Sam was born in Arkansas and moved to Kansas. His father, Thomas did the same. Thomas was born in 1868. 


This is another photo of Thomas. I had to include it because of the car. 


Thomas' father, Sam, fought in the Civil War. This photo was taken by one of my aunts of Sam and his wife Mary. They were married in 1866. 


My father's mother's father was Isaac Tandy Waggoner. He was born in Tennessee in 1864. His father was killed in the Civil War.


This is my maternal grandfather, Cecil. He was a barber and we all loved to visit the barber shop. He would give me Juicy Fruit gum or sometimes a dime to walk down to the corner grocery for Cracker Jacks. 


Cecil's father was John Lyman Covey who was also born in 1868. He was born in Minnesota and later farmed in Harper County, Kansas.


John Henry Covey lived in Minnesota before heading west. He was a minister, ran hotels, and various other jobs. He lived in Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Colorado where he died in 1914. He was born around 1833.



John Lyman Covey married Nancy George and this is her father, James W. George. He was born in Virginia in 1839 in an area that later became West Virginia. He moved to Kansas and became a farmer.

My maternal grandmother's father was Bert Martin, on the right. He left when she was young but she told me about him riding the horse to pick her up from school. His father, on the left, was Francis Marion Martin. He was was born in Ohio in 1844 and also lived in Kansas and then moved up to the Salem, Oregon area. He is buried in Portland. 



One last male ancestor is John Riley Keith. He was my 2nd great grandfather on my mother's side of the family. He was born in Illinois in 1843 and moved his family to southwestern Kansas around 1883. They settled in an area still known as "Keith Canyon" and eventually moved into town. Grandma would say they would all go to church and he would be sitting there with his eyes closed and when they questioned him after wards he said he was just resting his eyes. They knew different because he had been snoring. 

 

None of these men became famous. They were farmers, builders, barbers, and hotel keepers. They all helped build our country as many thousands of others; by working hard and raising their families.

I started doing my genealogy in 1977. I was totally addicted for many years and then moved on to other things although I still work on it when I can. I'm proud of my ancestors and happy I have so many photos and stories to share with the younger generation.