Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mothers

A FB friend has been posting photos of the mothers in her family all week. I have enjoyed seeing the women of her family, even though I never knew any of them. 

So here is my offering of mothers who came before me.


I grew up in a small family of women. Since she was ten years older my sister was often more of a mother than a sibling. This photo is my grandmother, mom, sister, and her first child. Four generations of women. 


Both of my grandmothers (and an aunt by marriage). My mother's mother, Jennie (center), and my father's mother, Carrie, on the right. 


Three generations this time. My paternal grandmother, Carrie, is the baby. Her grandmother, Sarah, is holding her and her mother, Salenia, stands behind her. These women lived mostly in northwest Arkansas. Sarah was born around 1828 in Georgia.


One of the second great grandmothers on my father's side is Orpha Ann. She lost her first husband, and my ancestor, in the Civil War. She was born in 1844 in Tennessee.


 Nancy Ann was born in 1846 in Illinois. She is a second great grandmother on my mother's side. Grandma said she didn't remember that window pane ever being replaced; that pillow was always stuffed in that hole.


Mary was born in 1841 in Arkansas. She was going to get married but her fiance, Sam, 
joined the Confederate Army. He returned and they were married in 1866 and became my 
paternal second great grandparents.


Mary and Sam had a number of children, one of them was Thomas. 
He married Nancie Jane and they became by great grandparents. They made the move 
from Arkansas to Kansas. 



Of all those greats, and second greats I only remember Nellie. She passed away when I was 9. She moved from Illinois to Kansas in a wagon train when she was about 6 or 7. 


My Mom, Viola, at her eighth grade graduation. Her strength carries down to my daughter. 

We all have eight second great grandmothers. I'm amazed in pulling this together to see that I have photos of four of them. I have photos of all of my great grandmothers. 


As I was adding up the numbers I realized I'd missed one great grandmother. On the right 
is Nellie again. On the left is another Nancy, born in West Virginia in 1866. Both are 
maternal great grandmothers.

I has taken many years of doing genealogy, writing letters, and researching books to 
find all these photos. It was worth every minute. 

So there you have them. The women who came before.