Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Monday, April 10, 2017

Spring Has Sprung

There have been some posts on FaceBook about how we used to dress for Easter. 
It shows little girls with fancy dresses, lacy socks, white patent 
leather shoes, hats, and, yes, even gloves. 


I'm not sure this first photo with my mom was Easter. She loved frilly dresses, bonnets, 
and dressing me up. She carried that over to my daughter. 


The second photo is my sister and I. Betty was old enough by then to put her foot down about how she dressed. She was never a frills and lace kind of girl. I remember that little cloth coat; it was turquoise.

A few years ago Betty and I were looking at photos and when this one came up she said she was so mad that day. I was really sick and she didn't like that we had to get all dressed up like that. She always looked out for me.


Jump forward a few years to my daughter's first Easter. If I remember right this was the first day she took off walking. A little bit of frill and the white socks and shoes, but not as much as I'm sure her Nana would have liked. 

This is about a month earlier and is in honor of spring. Jessica's favorite flower is still the tulip and she grows many of them in her own yard. 


A woman kept going on-and-on one day that you can't grow tulips in Arizona. I proved her wrong. These came up every year for a long time. Then suddenly they stopped.



Here's another nod to spring. This was the house I grew up in. My favorite spot was in that crab apple tree. There was a branch that was perfect for sitting and I spent many an hour thinking up on that branch. Or as Christoper Robin said to Pooh, "Doing nothing." I'd also sit up there and wait for mom to come home from work. It was a beautiful tree and smelled so sweet. 

Do you have some special Easter or spring memories to share? 
What is your favorite flower?

(My favorite flower is the tulip too with a close second or maybe even tie with sunflowers.)