Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Essential Oils: There's Always More To Learn

I remember first discovering essential oils about twenty years ago. My niece and I bought the little bottles that just smelled good. We dropped the oil on clay diffusers and thought we were doing good. Now I know most of those types of oils are mostly alcohol and have very little actual oil in them.

About fifteen years ago I was introduced to Young Living at the yoga studio. One of the members was a doctor who swore by the use of these therapeutic grade oils. What a difference. Try these and you'll never go back. 

This is my box of oils. I use them for pain, relaxation, cleaning, and so much more. 
I thought all these years I was using them correctly. I applied them topically, ingested some (like peppermint), and smelled them. 


Then I found the Alchemist's Guild and have learned there isn't much that YL oils can't do. I've learned to make skin cleansers and creams, blends for better pain control, cleaning products, and even cooking ideas.


Now the Guild has a book that I wish I'd had twenty years ago. Or even five years ago. This book is geared to the oils that come in the beginner's kit. It has a bit of history on each oil or blend and the uses for each. The oils in this kit include Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon, Copaiba, Frankincense, and blends; Purification, Di-gize, RC, PanAway, StressAway, and Thieves.

There is a section in making blends using carrier oils to dilute and stretch the use of the oil. The different types of diffusers are covered and how to best use them. The best part and where I hadn't used the oils to their fullest potential is recipes to make things like an anti-bacterial type foaming hand cleaner, mouthwash, moisturizers, and lip balm.

I've made wool dryer balls and gotten rid of those dryer sheets. Glass cleaner, floor cleaner, and air fresheners. In other words detoxing my home.

On the side of there's always more to learn there are spaces for writing in your own recipes and ideas. There is also an accompanying journal to keep more information.

I have read the entire book and am now going back and studying more things, besides using it for reference. I'm finding it invaluable.

If you haven't discovered top quality essential oils ask around. You probably have friends who have. There are numerous books and web sites on using oils. "Basic Alchemy with Essential Oils" is a great place to start.

You can find it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Alchemy-Essential-Oils-Living/dp/1540611353/

Or if you are in Phoenix it is available at Dog-Eared Pages Used Books near 40th Street and Bell Road. http://www.dogearedpagesusedbooks.com/

Enjoy!