Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Thinking About Mom

Getting sick is no fun. I've had that cold that is touring the country for over a week now. I keep texting hubby to stop and get something different try for the sniffles, coughing, sore throat, etc. (Yes, I feel like a commercial,)

Of course, I got to thinking about my Mom. I was talking with a friend and we both have fond memories of our Moms caring for us when we were sick and the ever present jar of Vicks VapoRub. 



When I was young Mom was usually working two jobs so I don't have a lot of memories of her being there. It's just the way it was. I do remember her soothing touch with the VapoRub and especially her pot roast and potato soup. 

Which, reminds me of a funny story. When we were first married we were renting a great old rock house in south Phoenix. The only heat was a wall furnace in the living room and a fire place. We were both about as sick as I've ever been. Mom would call and ask if she could do anything and I requested her potato soup. When she brought it by she put it by the door, knocked, and backed off the porch. When I answered the door she was a good fifteen feet away, she didn't want that bug. That was the best potato soup I've ever had. We still talk about it. 

Anyway, I wonder how much healing was just from the gentle touch of our mothers when we were young. 

Here's a photo of my mom during that time. She was a dispatcher for the police/fire department. 

Today, besides the Vicks I'm diffusing essential oils like crazy. Young Living brand Thieves and Purification to clear the house and eucalyptus, RC, tea tree, lemon, and, and oregano for all the symptoms.


Yes, I love my essential oils but there is something about Vicks VapoRub and the memory of my mother's gentle touch.