Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Looking Forward . . .

The New Year always brings about changes. I don’t do resolutions, but I do try to set goals. One of mine for this year is to revamp my blog (and to be a better blogger.)

I’m going to redo the banner so watch for that. I haven’t even made a final decision yet, so it will be a surprise for all of us. Lol

The next decision is what direction to take the writing. In the past I have tried a variety of things: travel, art journaling, “remember when” about my family history, and just stuff about me. What I’d like to do is have departments.

If you are an avid blog follower you have probably noticed things like “throwback Thursday” when people post photos of themselves or their family from the past. Or maybe that is just Facebook, I’m not sure, but you get the idea.

With all the other writing I plan to do I can’t do a blog post every day. Most people don’t have the time to read that much anyway. I would like to do some regular type posts.

So, here’s your chance to tell me what you would like to read about. Here are a few of my ideas:

“Remember when . . .” family history, memories, and an idea to write your own stories.




Journaling prompts for self-awareness OR prompts for fiction writing OR both traded off?

Art journaling ideas and prompts. For those not aware of the art journaling craze it is taking a journal or book, and using mixed media (collage, paint, markers, stamps, stickers, etc.) to PLAY and journal about yourself and your life.

General life: my travels, pets, photography, reading, and life in Arizona. 

As you can see, there are a wide variety of possibilities; mainly because I have such a wide variety of interests. Perhaps this would be a good time to list some of my activities:

I lead a writing group based on the book Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. I was part of another group for 11 years and have moved on to start a new group. We meet weekly to write a story from a prompt and then we share what we’ve written.

I write Arizona and Old West history for various magazines, journals, and an upcoming book.
I journal daily in either an art journal or regular hand-written journal.

I attend a variety of writing groups and attend conferences and workshops. I have also taught several workshops on research and writing.

I’ve been doing my own genealogy since 1976 and, also do some research for others.

I read constantly. My goal on Goodreads for 2016 was 65 books and I have exceeded that.

I am involved in learning vibrational healing. I also work with therapeutic grade essential oils.

My husband and I do paranormal research with various groups.

I do some sewing and other crafts. I’m getting the itch to get back into making 1/12 scale miniatures. (I have a huge Victorian style house with three stories and the big doors that open in the front.)

Okay, Dear Readers, what do you want to read about? What have been some of your favorite types of posts in the past.

One other comment, many say they can’t make comments on the blog itself. I have it set up that anybody can leave a comment, however I must moderate the comments so your comment won’t show up immediately. I hope this fixes the problem. (For my FB friends, I will be back after the holidays.)