Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Friday, June 24, 2016

My Sister's Art

My sister was ten years older than I. Here we are when she graduated from high school. More often than not she was more like my mother since Mom was trying to raise us both by herself and working two jobs. 

Betty was an amazing artist. One corner of our shared room was set up with her easel and a table covered with oil paints and related chemicals. Those smells always bring back a flood of memories. 

While still in high school she sold quite a few paintings and I remember her doing the door of some company's pickup in hand lettering. 

As she got older she dabbled in everything. Pen and ink (always my favorite), acrylics, carving, glass etching, ceramics, and so much more. She mastered each one in record time. 





She did this painting of raccoons on leaves. She seldom needed something to draw from. She just sat down and did it. 

One time while we were visiting them in Colorado she whipped out this pair of leaves for our mom. She said to never take the glass off as they crinkled as she pressed them in.

I cherish both paintings.

Betty loved to draw Western scenes. Lots of cowboys and long horned cattle. Her love was horses and her drawings were always amazing.  

She taught me a lot about art. Sometimes getting quite frustrated, possibly forgetting how much younger I was. Perhaps some day I will try painting on leaves.