Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Books

Books have always been a big part of my life. Children's books at home, including the Little Golden books, and later visits to the public library in my hometown. The children's library was in the basement but a special part of it with its own entrance. It was a wonderful old place with nooks for different levels. The Nancy Drews were all together in an alcove behind an arched entry way. The smell of that library tickles at my memory.


My great grandmother, Nellie, must have had a great love of books. She became a teacher for a short time. Here she is (center) on a school outing in the hills of southwestern Kansas.





This distinguished gentleman is her uncle. I've always liked this photo for some reason. Perhaps it's the book.








Next in line is my grandmother, Jennie. This photo is the all-time favorite of the whole family.











Here I am with Natalie Goldberg, an author who has inspired and influenced my writing career. My daughter always loved books. We had a disagreement over who would keep the Little Golden Books when she moved out. I still have some of them. Smokey the Bear was always my favorite. 

It's been interesting to find the photos of my family with books over the years. I believe books will always be with us.