Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Friday, August 28, 2015

A Smoky Week

I just haven't been able to get into writing my blog this trip. Sometimes we just need breaks.

The smoke here in the Yakima Valley of south central Washington has kept us inside most of the time. One night ash fell and covered the ground and cars. It was eerie. It made the moon a bright red.

Here are a few photos from my time here:


The boys have birthdays in the fall so while I'm here I put on a "pretend" birthday 
party to share in some of the fun. 
Chocolate Cake!!

I also take each boy out for Grammy Day. We go to lunch at Red Lobster and then sometimes a bit of shopping. So I had two of my favorite foods in one week: snow crab and chocolate cake. Mmmm

One morning the smoke cleared a bit so Jessica and I went to downtown
Yakima so I could shoot some photos for a possible article. 


The Capitol Theatre burned in the early 1900s and was completely rebuilt. It is gorgeous.



A military memorial I need to research.


Back to school. Yes, I also got to celebrate my favorite time of year with the boys: Back To School. I love all the supplies. I made sure they are stocked up and added a few things to my stash.


Another somewhat clear morning we went to visit Doug's great grandparents. 


Joseph and Mary Jane Remley came to Washington around 1850.

Three more days here. It's always bittersweet. I want to get home, but I'll hate to leave.

I way lying in bed the other night and made a mental 
list of some of the things I miss (besides the obvious)

my own bed with all my blankets and pillows 
my work space 
 the quiet of being alone all day
my friends
my writing groups
Barnes & Noble (there aren't any bookstores here)
my essential oil diffuser/mister
my art supplies

Okay, I'll say it: My hubby and my dog.

Praying for the firefighters, families, animals, and the Pacific Northwest