Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Monday, July 13, 2015

Mother-In-Law's Tongue

We all have some unusual memories from childhood. Some we try to hang on to. I remember Mom always had mother-in-law tongues in the house. These tall skinny plants are also known as snake plants, Saint George's sword and officially sansevieria trifasciata. 
I found this photo of out dog next to an old filled-in well. 

There, I believe, are some of Mom's mother-in-law's tongues. The date is May 1961 so this photo was taken about the same time my sister graduated from high school.
This photo is of an old friend of the family and her son. 

I put it here as that bookcase in the corner, behind the front door, always had a pot of mother-in-law's tongues on it. I'm not sure there is one in this photo. For many years there was  also a fish bowl with what we called guppies. They were small little silver fish; nothing like the fancy ones found int he stores now. 


It looks like some of my sister's horse collection is on the top shelf. I wish I could see more.

I've had these plants in my house forever. A couple of weeks ago they flowered. I didn't remember it ever flowering before. They were pretty and very sticky. Surprised by the flowers I did a little research and learned they only flower when in stress, as in being root bound.




These plants are very good for cleaning the air and are very easy to care for. In Africa it is used as a protective charm against evil or bewitchment. The strong fibers were once used to make bowstrings. 
So a little history, a few memories, and more stories to share.