Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Monday, May 11, 2015

Movie Experience

Back in 2002/03 a friend was working for an agency that cast local talent for movies, television, and whatever else came along. One day she asked me if I wanted to do an infomercial that actually paid.

I learned a lot that day. Infomercials aren't what they seem. Filming for a full day and listening to a guy give his talk over and over is BORING. Of course, you have to appear attentive at all times. Don't move when the camera comes near you because they may hit you in the head.

No, I don't remember who the guy was or even what the infomercial was about. I never saw it.

Another time she called and asked if I wanted to do a walk-on for a movie. No pay. Sure, I said. I'm always open to new experiences. We were supposed to be people in downtown Phoenix walking along while the star sat on the side of the street and played his guitar.

I dressed in a nice blue dress and flats (thank heavens). There were about eight of us that walked up and down the street as the director, Susan, got the shots. After awhile my feet were killing me and I was sure the little rocks on the sidewalk were going to come up through the soles of my shoes.

But it was interesting. There were some serious actors there and little ol' me who didn't have a clue but I guess I did okay. I think my mouth dropped when one of the men flipped out his compact. Serious actor.

The movie was finally released and Hubby and I went to the theater in Tempe to see it. I had no idea what it was about and was somewhat aghast when one of the opening scenes had some nudity. Oh dear. We watched and watched and finally near the end of the movie there I was. Blue dress and all. It's amazing how different you look and feel on the big screen.

As we were leaving the theater we ran into Susan and I went up and reminded her I was the "lady in blue." She started laughing and gave me a big hug. I may not have my name on the credits but I did stand out. lol

So "Greasewood Flat" won a few awards and eventually we got our DVD of it. It is somewhere in the shelves of Hubby's collection. As time went on I more or less forgot about it until there was a bunch of hype about the restaurant where it was filmed.

Greasewood Flat was a restaurant in north Scottsdale with a local following and many memories for many people. It closed a few weeks ago and somehow my husband got me a movie poster for Mother's Day.


Cindi had to give up her job with the agency because of health problems but she had a great time up in Superior, Arizona with the filming of "Eight-Legged Freaks."

In the excitement of receiving the poster I posted it on FB and quite a few people commented. Sure, I have lots of friends who have been in movies and on television but it's still fun to have my little moment on camera.

You can see the "Greasewood Flat" movie trailer and apparently watch it through Amazon.com. We aren't signed up for that one.