Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Childhood Home

 This is the house I grew up in. I'm guessing not too long after we moved here. It was small but it was home and I still miss it. There were great trees all around including a cherry tree and a crab apple tree which was my favorite place to sit and ponder life.

For many years I shared a room with my sister (on the left, I'm in the center and Mom on the right.) We had bunk beds and she always had the bottom. They moved around, sometimes stacked and sometimes on opposite sides of the room. At one point my sister had all of her oil paints and easel set up in one corner. I was so envious of all of that and her amazing talent. She sold paintings of dogs and horses while still in high school.

There was a big kitchen and an average living room with the big black and white console television. So many memories. 


Last week the girl who once lived next door visited the home town and snapped this picture of the house for me. Thank you, Jan. The years have not been kind. When I last saw it (in 1990) the shutters were there but it was in better shape. I have since thought that it was perhaps three smaller houses put together at some time, or at least an addition on the back for the bedroom and part of the kitchen. 

I lived in that house for about nine years. Betty got married and moved out so I finally got my own room. You can see the window at the back of the porch. I spent hours listening to the Beatles and others in that room. 

What are your memories of your childhood home? Do you have photos?