Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Remember When: Wedding Day

This photo was taken thirty-eight years ago this week. I remember a time when I didn't think I would live past 30 (a common notion in the 1960s.) Now I've lived twice that long and been married more than half of that.

We met at a disco. He had just gotten out of the Navy and I was in my senior year at ASU. So young, so many dreams.

We lived in an old rock house in south Phoenix which has since been torn down for a freeway. It was a wonderful old house with a fireplace and wooden floors. Later we bought our current house in north Phoenix and raised our daughter and a number of cats, dogs, rabbits, birds and even a horse.

Many of our dreams were put on the back burner and then eventually forgotten. We had our ups and downs but we hung in there.

Now our dreams are smaller. To watch our grandsons grow, to do a little traveling, to visit all the haunted hotels in our state. Our interests have changed sometimes growing apart and sometimes shared. We've met some amazing people and shared some stupendous experiences.

Some things never change. I still love white dress coats with black slacks. He still loves to wear flannel and we both live in jeans. Our favorite music stretches from rock (him) to New Age (me) with Western Ballads and Oldies in the middle. Even though we differ we usually have a central point where we meet.

How has your dreams and life changed? What things have stayed the same? Where does your gratitude lie?