Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Remember When: A Special Moment


I was watching a YouTube video by Ilene McInnes on art journaling the other day. I love to kind of zone out with these and let the inspiration soak in. As she was working on the VIDEO she was sharing her thoughts which I found quite interesting.

Our favorite actors or other performers make us smile. We enjoy their work and we watch for them because we enjoy their work.

As artists (or writers, or bakers . . .) we send our work out into the world and hope it will make somebody happy. Make them smile or touch them in some way. What a joy it would be to share our work with one of those celebrities.

One of my favorite shows is still "Little House on the Prairie." Anybody who watched Melissa Gilbert grow up as "Half-pint" fell in love with her. Her sun bonnet hanging behind her and her pigtails flying is such a classic.

I was really in to making miniatures for awhile and even sold a few items. One of my favorites to make was a sun bonnet. I read that Melissa Gilbert also collected miniatures and I really wanted to send one to her as kind of a thank you for all the smiles she brought to me.


The scale is one inch to one foot. 

During the same time period my husband and I were very involved in author, historian and celebrity events in Tombstone, Arizona. Although we worked the events we were more with the authors than the celebrities. They were kept more shielded.  

I'd come prepared with a sun bonnet and had another friend give it to her at the signing event. 


She smiled and waved at me. I was honored.

I did get my photo taken with her after the banquet that night. Here's another one I shot while she was posing with her son and and one of the author's spouses. I wish I'd waited to hand it to her myself but I didn't know if another chance would come up.


I'd met her husband at the time, Bruce Boxleitner, a few times and even had lunch with him and a couple of friends at one of the earlier events. That is him in the white hat standing behind Melissa in the photo above.

I thank Ilene for bringing up that memory and will send her a link to this post. It has me going through the large box of photos from those days and I hope to slowly get them all scanned. I will be sharing more here as time goes on.

Thank you for sharing my memory and please share any similar stories you might have.