Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Remember When: Owls

We finally found a day we could celebrate our anniversary. Hubby's schedule 
has been crazy and I've been under the weather.

We made up for it. 

We headed to Joe's Crab Shack in Tempe and indulged in crab stuffed 
mushrooms, clam strips and steamed snow crab. 


I LOVE SEAFOOD!

Then we took our new ghost hunting equipment to a local cemetery and enjoyed the beautiful weather and learned how to use the equipment. We haven't had time to analyze it all.

As we were sitting under a tree we kept hearing an owl. I walked around and 
around that tree until I finally found him. For those of  you who haven't noticed:


I LOVE OWLS!!


I have a lot of memories connected with owls. I have an aunt who has collected owls forever and her whole house is completely filled with them. I never got pictures of them but they filled the shelf under her coffee table and every other nook in the house. They were from all over the world and made of everything imaginable.

When my grandson was two they were living with us and he'd come in at night and sit on my chest and we'd sing and make animal sounds. My favorite of course was: What does an owl say? 
Who Who Who

After shooting a bunch of stills I got out the other camera and tried to video tape him. I got him looking at me and all round and staring off into the sunset but I couldn't seem to get him Who-ing.
Just as I was giving up I finally got what I wanted.


video

When I was in Washington this summer I tried to explain to that same grandson that I don't know anything about his video games and although I'm glad he's so good at them I'd like to talk about something else.

So he kept asking me all about owls. What their eggs look like, how big they are, what they eat, etc.
He's getting a book about owls as soon as I can find one. 

I also hope to be better prepared for his questions next year. 

Do you have any owl memories?

Oh, and I almost forgot, for about a year we had an owl that loved to sit in the eucalyptus tree in our yard. He has since disappeared but we both loved to wake up and listen to him Who-ing.