Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Remember When: Ice Cream

I have many pictures of my sister and I. She was ten years older and so many of them look more like mother and daughter. She never liked having her photo taken so I'm surprised there are as many as there are.

This one makes me smile because of the pure devilment in her eyes. I'd hate to be the person on the other end of that look. lol She never lost that look; it just got more intense.

I'm not sure that is an ice cream cone in her hand, may be a candy bar, but I decided to write about ice cream. I don't remember having a lot of ice cream growing up. There was a Dairy Queen across from the park in town and also a Tastee Freeze a few blocks from our house. Oh, and the A&W with root beer floats. sigh

Now it's everywhere and there are so many flavors it seems impossible to decide on a favorite. I think back then there was chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. And Neapolitan: the combination of the three in sections. Usually my favorite because I wasn't never good at making decisions.

My favorites now are chocolate chip and mint chocolate chip. Matter-of-fact when I was carrying my daughter mint chocolate chip ice cream was my primary craving.

I also love Ben & Jerry's. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and sometimes Cherry Garcia.

Ice cream isn't spurring any major memories except going to my cousins and watching them make ice cream with a hand crank machine. I don't remember if I helped, except when it came to the eating part.

I just got a memory flash of my sister in high school with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. We must have had it more than I thought. Do you remember the Hershey Syrup in the cans that had to be opened with pointed can opener and then we never quite knew what to do with it.

As always, once the memories start they lead to more and more memories. Write about your favorite ice cream as a child and now. Did you use Hershey Syrup? Did you have homemade ice cream? What other memories do you have?


3 comments:

  1. I remember as a kid my favorite ice cream flavor was Peppermint but as an adult, the last time I had it (years ago) I couldn't stand it. Much too sweet for my grown up taste - hahaha. Now I think my favorite is coffee ice cream. Mom used to love pistachio which I could never stand. I still don't like the nuts either - though Rick does.

    As a child, I don't remember having ice cream a lot, so it was a special treat when we did have it. Thanks for this mind jog, Rita - now I'm getting a craving for coffee ice cream :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we change? I love pistachios but never tried the ice cream. I tend to stick with some kind of chocolate. Thanks for sharing your memories.

      Delete
  2. Rita-try Ben and Jerry's "Everything but the" I think that's the name. it is wonderful!! Also do you have Blue Bell ice cream in Arizona? We had that in Texas-best ice cream I have ever had (rather than homemade). We don't have that brand here and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.