Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Remember When: Gas Prices

This is a photo of a gas station my dad worked at, probably before I was even born. 

I can just imagine somebody wishing they had those old gas pumps. I've even seen fish in the top of one like the one on the left. Isn't it funny how things become collectibles?

This is my maternal grandfather (left) and my dad. Probably around the same time. Other people would love to have that old car.

Frankly, I would love to have that old car, except for the bad mileage. 

This car was the one my mom drove when I was little. She had it all trimmed because it was going to be painted. I was nine and remember that clearly. 


I remember Mom pulling into the gas station and complaining that gas was up to fifty cents or maybe it was twenty-five cents. I tried to find an ad from the Great Bend Daily Tribune for that year to confirm the gas prices but although I found a number of gas station ads none of them listed prices.

It's hard to imagine, now, a time when fifty cents was high. When Mom was supporting my sister and I on her own she sometimes worked two jobs. It was a tough life.

As we are constantly threatened with sky high gas prices I think about how it's all relative. Fifty cents was high to my mom in the late fifties and early sixties and now our prices are bouncing up again. Thank heavens for better cars with better mileage.

Do you remember big price changes that affected your family? When did you become aware of the price of life's necessities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.