Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Remember When: Song Titles


In my teen years I loved Herman's Hermits featuring Peter Noone. Okay, who am I kidding: I still do.
I just can't resist his smile and they have some of the best songs from that era. One of my all-time favorite songs is "There's A Kind Of Hush." It hit the charts in the spring of 1967 which was when we also moved to Arizona.

In Kansas we had Junior High which was grades seven through nine. Here I was at the end of eighth grade looking forward to becoming a "bigwig" at school and my mother decides to move away. I had to leave one of the best friends I've ever had and was so heartbroken.

To add insult to injury we ended up with a one bedroom apartment so I had to share the room with my mother. And I had to go back to grade school for that last couple of months. So much angst. So much anger.

I still listen to Herman's Hermits in the car. I even got to see Peter Noone perform when I was in college, one good thing about moving to a bigger city, I guess. He's still performing, by-the-way. I love the music from that era and also listen to Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Beatles, Freddy and the Dreamers, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Jay and the Americans and the list goes on-and-on.

I made a list of some of the songs from the albums above and gave everybody that list to use as a prompt in my writing group. It was a lot of fun. Some wrote about memories from those prompts, others made a story out of the song title and others wrote about how they didn't like that style music.

Here are some of the song titles:
Listen People
I'm Henry the VIII, I Am
There's a Kind of Hush
Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter
Silhouettes
Wonderful World
The End of the World

What memories do Herman's Hermits or some of their songs bring to mind. What about a short story based on one of these titles.

Now Write!

2 comments:

  1. "Mrs Brown, you've got a lovely daughter". And they used to do a funny dance or movement sometimes when they sang--do you know what I'm talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the dance but I'm sure we could find it on the internet. I've watched a couple of his videos. Such memories.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.