Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Remember When: Childhood Home


I recently saw a memoir prompt that said to draw a map of a house where you grew up. This is my sister in what we always called "the little house." That wall heater is all we had and it was in the living room. The bedrooms are in the back and although I don't remember it I wonder about how cold it must have gotten in those back rooms during the Kansas winters.

We never had any kind of a/c or cooler. I don't remember ever thinking about it. My aunt and uncle had a window shaker but we never did.
My sketch:
I think when I have some time I'm going to go through the old pictures and see if I can do a better job.

Here's the front of the house:
That's my sister on the left, me and then my mom on the right. My sister was ten years older than me.

What memories do you have of a childhood home?
Could you draw a floor plan?
Where was it and what kind of heating and cooling did you have?













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.