Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Hideaways



I love finding little hidden places wherever I go. Sometimes they are full-size like the 
Snow White wishing well at Disneyland. Quiet little places that few people stop and 
take the time to really enjoy. 

I do this when I travel and even near home.

When I was small I had a couple of "secret places" I would ride my bike to and just
 be by myself. Perhaps I wrote stories in my head, or imagined I was living in a 
different era with no cars or buildings. 

One magical place is the park around Tumwater Falls in Tumwater, Washington.
Here's my hubby and I in front of the falls a few years ago. 


The trail follows the little canyon along the river and there are all kinds of little places 
just full of  magic. I can picture little people, or perhaps fairies, or whatever, 
going about their business among the rocks, plants and tiny waterfalls. 



Sometimes just a fallen tree or a system of roots offer a perfect living space for my 
imaginary friends.


I've obviously never outgrown the magic of being a child in my imagination. 

Do you have magical places you can visit? Do they bring a sense of childish charm?
Do you  imagine being an inhabitant of that place? Do stories emerge?

Write about one of your magic places; either from a childhood memory or something more
recent. If you don't have such places go looking for them. A patio, a quiet corner of a park,
a garden, a library nook. Find your quiet places and escape into your own imagination.














1 comment:

  1. This is from your visit when I was pregnant with the miracle baby. I took him to those spots there last summer. I will send you pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.