Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Saturday, April 19, 2014

Q is for Quests and Quilts



This old suitcase is full of memories. Mom kept all the old family pictures in it. 
I loved going through it and wondering about all those people.

One of my favorites is this old photo of cowboys and what appears to be an old store. I wondered about it. Who were the people? Why is it in the family collection?
The quest began. 


Over time I learned this was the headquarters for a ranch in southwestern Kansas. Prior to 
that it was a store/restaurant in Cash City. My family helped build the town and owned the 
store before the building was moved to the ranch. . 

I also learned the cowboy on the left was named Mr. Peeples and according to local stories 
he chased down an old wolf that was killing stock in the area. 

Some of this information and this old photo ended up in an article I wrote for Wild West Magazine. 
One of my first paid for writing assignments. 

Another favorite photo from the suitcase was this one from Fowler, Kansas. None of these ladies is related, at least as far as I know, but Grandma did remember some of them. Grandma was always a quilter. She had a large frame that hung from the ceiling and they would lower it to balance on the backs of chairs and the ladies could gather around to practice their tiny stitches. 


Questions lead to a quest for answers. Don't wait until it's too late to ask the people who may remember the who, what, when, where of your family photos. 

3 comments:

  1. Those pictures are so cool. I have some old pictures that I have no clue why they were in my Grandmothers things. One is of a woman and child by a cabin but the thing I like is that behind her leaning against the cabin, within reach, is a rifle. Those were wild times. Thank You for sharing. I love hearing the stories an seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quest! It is so true that writing behind a picture leaves a treasure for younger generations #AtoZchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good point - I've been given photos that are nearly 100 years old and must try and find out who they are, like you say, before it's too late.
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.