Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for Keepsakes

Keepsakes: we all have them. 
They come in all shapes and sizes. From a favorite childhood book to a pressed flower. 
A set of dishes or the family bible. 

I try to photograph the special things in my life. Eventually I will have a book with the photos and a story about why they are special. Who passed them on. Why I kept them.

My sister was ten years older than me. She was an artist her whole life. She had an easel and her oil paints in one corner of our shared bedroom. Ah, the memories when I visit an art show with working artists; the smells of paint and turpentine and the look of brushes in a jar.

This was one of her sketchbooks and two of her dip pens. 
They are among my most treasured possessions. 


This is my sister when she was in school.  

When we were going through her things we found this necklace. Somehow we knew it belonged to Great Grandma Nellie. Then my niece found this picture of my sister wearing it. 
What treasures.


I took photos putting them together and close-ups of the necklace: front, back, open, and closed.

The necklace will go to my sister's granddaughter. The rest of the family will know about it. Her children will know the story behind it. My legacy to them is keeping the memories.

You can see another family keepsake on my writer's blog here.

3 comments:

  1. A beautifully written post and I so liked your idea of a Keepsake Book of photographs and memories. - that resonated with me more than the term "Memory Box". Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are definitely some special treasures. I love that one of the pens is in your blog banner.

    I have some similar treasures. One of mine is a cheap red plastic comb, but it belonged to my Grampy and that makes it social.

    Visiting through the A to Z Challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello..love those dip pens and memories of your family the photo is beautiful..collage art piece perhaps if you try printing them off so you dont use originals

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.