Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Blogs

There are numerous blogs and web sites out there geared to genealogists, memoir writers and writers in general.

There are genealogy blogs about certain family lines, or surname specific. Others give hints and tips for all levels of researchers. Some cover the digital world of family history research.

Here are some of my favorites:
Genea-Musings Randy Seaver of keeps up-to-date on the latest in genealogy software and websites including changes. A wealth of information.

Olive Tree Genealogy Lorine McGinnis writes about genealogy and is currently posting fantastic prompts for those interested in writing their memoirs.

The Armchair Genealogist  Ideas for using your blog to write and publish your family history and so much more.

Sources for more blogs:
Cyndi's List This is the go to site for resources and of course among those are blogs. The possibilities are endless.

GeneaBloggers over 3,000 blogs on all aspects of genealogy

How can these blogs be helpful to fiction writers? Stories. There are hundreds of stories to give you an idea of a story or plot. Endless inspiration. The research can fill in gaps in your story especially if writing historical fiction and in need details to put your readers in that time and place.

Here are photos of all eight of my great grandparents:

Nancie Jane (Reed) 1869 - 1946 
and Thomas Webster Wilburn 1868 - 1944


Salenia Alzadie (Freeman) Waggoner 1870 - 1948
and Isaac Tandy Waggoner 1864 - 1949

John Lyman Covey 1868 - 1955 
Husband of Nancy Ellen (George) Covey below


Nancy Ellen (George) Covey 1866 - 1930
and Nellie Grace (Keith) Martin 1878 - 1963

 
William Albert Martin 1876 - 1952 
Husband of Nellie Grace (Keith) Martin above






17 comments:

  1. These are some of my favorite blogs, also. In fact, I'm teaching a class today and one of my topics is the value of blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Sorry I missed the class. I need to get back in the swing of things.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He's a big one isn't he. I don't know anything about the dog I'm afraid. lol

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely going to check out the Olive Tree Genealogy! I love writing prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet has been a valuable resource for genealogists. The things we can do and find out about our family's history now would have been impossible a very few years ago. Thank you so much for the links and resources!

    LuAnn Braley
    AJ's Hooligans @AtoZChallenge
    Back Porchervations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's sad that so many sources are mismanaged and ancestry charts wrong. I still don't believe anything I find on the internet until I check further.

      Delete
  5. I love the old pictures of your family you have shared! Makes me want to get out the albums :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I love your use of familial pictures too! Makes me want to break out my photo albums :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the old pics...I rounded up a ton from my mom, and I plan to use them in my artwork :) They work out great with wax paintings.
    @Bertagal The Writing on the Wall

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your family pictures. And you are right about genealogy blog sites providing valuable information for historical fiction writers, even though I hadn't thought about it until now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have those pictures. I have very few and those earlier than my grandparents I cannot identify.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita, you are so lucky to have photos of all your great grandparents! Your tips about how to begin a genealogy search are exactly right. I say the same things every time I teach a class or speak at a meeting. I see you are working on a memoir. Me too! Sometimes I post memories on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of using genealogy websites as inspiration for stories. Lovely post. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have found other blogs a great inspiration. When I began blogging, I expected to run out of my own material and photographs within about 18 months, but joining Geneabloggers was a huge boost in responding to the many blog prompts - and here I am nearly 4 years later. I even discovered two third cousins through my blog! A revelation was the introduction to recording my own personal childhood memories for future generations - an idea that had not occurred to me before. . The Sepia Saturday blog has also been brilliant in terms of building up my followers. I cannot praise the benefits of blogging enough. .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.