Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Remember When: First Crush

Happy Birthday, Johnny Crawford.
The Rifleman was on television from 1958 to 1963. Young Mark McCain was my first major crush. And I'm not alone.
At the Festival of the West in Scottsdale, Arizona last week I met Johnny for the first time and told him that. He's obviously heard it many times.
I'm happy to say he was just as nice and personable as you'd expect.
He signed my book on television westerns and graciously posed for photos.

I spent much of the day watching all the other people meeting favorite movie stars and reliving the Old West. I thought about my sister and how we sat in front of that big console black-and-white tv to watch those shows that will never be replaced.
 
Later our friends, Wyatt and Terry Earp showed up and Terry was just as excited as I was to get her picture with Johnny.

She first met him at the birthday party of another tv favorite: Hugh O'Brien (The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp.)
What a great day!! So many wonderful memories!

Who was your first television/movie crush?

Memoir Prompts:

What was your favorite childhood television show?

Did you and your siblings battle over the television?

Where did you sit the most often while watching television?

Have you met some of your favorite movie stars?

What is your favorite carnival/fair food?

Have you ever cooked over a campfire?

What inspires you?

2 comments:

  1. How cool is that?!... Johnny still looks good, doesn't he? You must've been over the moon, Rita!
    Sort of in the same genre, I was head-over-teakettle for young "Rowdy Yates"/Rifleman.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.