Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tomorrow It Begins

Here I go again. Challenging myself to do way more than I believe possible. That's how I get things done.

First of all is the National Novel Writers Month affectionately known as NaNoWriMo. This is an Internet challenge to write 50,000 words during the November. From one guys idea to an international writing frenzy this challenge is writing-life altering. I have done it quite a few years, I've lost track of which ones, and although I've never followed through and gotten any of them published by writing takes on new heights every time I give it a try.

The whole idea is to write fast, without thinking, without worrying about the outcome, grammar or anything else except getting those words in the computer. It is unbelievably freeing. Ideas come from nowhere and make it through the keyboard and for many some revision actually produces a book. Ready to join me and thousands of others? Go here to sign up.

The other challenge is an off-shoot: NaNoJouMo. I can't quite remember how that translates but it is basically the same idea but instead you produce one art journal style page per day based on a prompt supplied on the host blog. NaNoJouMo

I'm hoping these two will feed each other and prepare me for other challenges to be announced after November.

One of my biggest worries is the ten days I will be spending in Colorado with family. When this chance to head north came up I was already committed in my mind to doing both of these challenges so all I can do is do my best and ask my family to understand my need for time to work. As I think about  it I remember they are all television addicts and I watch very little tv. So while they view the small screen I will keep my eye on the computer screen. Some of the scenes could even end up in my story. Inspiration is everywhere.

I've been working on some doodles, zentangles or whatever you prefer to call them. This one is in an 8 1/2 x 11 sketchbook done with sepia toned Pitt pens.
 
I finished it last week and started this one. It may be December before I get back to it.
Doing this is so meditative. Give it a try.

8 comments:

  1. It's amazing that anyone can write a novel in one month - and then to take on another challenge too and visit your family at the same time! My hat is off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doris but I'm thinking it is more insanity than anything!! Now that I've "gone public" I have to do it, right?

      Delete
  2. Your sepia design is the most beautiful of this type that I've ever seen. Ever! And I was lucky enough to see it up close and in person while you were drawing. It's just amazing. Gorgeous on your blog, and exponentially more beautiful in real life. You're a master, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. You are my inspiration!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Windy. The first day excitement netted 2,848 words. That's about all I did today. I won't have that "luxury" very often.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I am moving right along. STill concerned about loosing the momentum when I go to Colorado but all I can do is do my best.
      Thanks for the cheer on.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.