Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Sonia's Song" by Sonia Korn-Grimani: Women on Writing's Mass Blogging Event


Today’s post is in participation with Women On Writing’s mass-blogging event, Everybody is Talking About Finding the Music in Life. We are celebrating the release of Sonia’s Song by Sonia Korn-Grimani. To read Sonia’s post and follow our symphony of participating bloggers visit The Muffin at http://muffin.wow-womenonwriting.com/. Share your comments on any participating blog for a chance to win a copy of Sonia’s Song!

Sonia’s Song is the story of one girl, who rises from war's ashes to sing the songs of hope and love world-wide. A heart-wrenching and poignant memoir, by internationally renowned singer Sonia Korn-Grimani. Learn more about Sonia at http://claygrouse.com/sonias_song/.

***

Writing memoir is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and loved ones. Writing with pen and paper or at the least the plan to print and distribute copies is critical. As our lives are spread between blog posts, emails and Facebook the part of us that comes from the heart is threatened by being lost in the black hole of the Internet or lost through changes in media storage and crashing computers.

One of my greatest joys is to see my great grandmother's handwriting or a recipe written by my mother. The old cabinet photos or the snapshots from my childhood. I used to love to sit and go through the train suitcase of family photos. The hands-on feel of paper and cardboard. The sort them in to piles by family or era. Just getting to know those people. With digital files none of those things are possible and I'm guessing kids don't spend much time going through old digital files when the World Wide Web is just a click or two away.

I've started a campaign of sorts to get people to write their memoirs. I batted the idea around for a long time and then one sleepless night it came together. You can read about it here.

Writing memories leads to more memories and with a little work finding the people who were lost from your life along the way. In the spring I will be meeting up with a childhood neighbor who I haven't seen or talked to since the mid 1960s. There will be laughter, and joy with a bit of sadness thrown in. I look forward to hearing her memories and joining them with my own. And, of course, making new ones. Where can you find your memories?



 Another neighbor girl.

The neighbor's yellow house. With my dog and pet chick.

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Rita! I have a boxes of old letters as well--some love letters from ex boyfriends, letters from childhood friends, and a few letters of my mom's written in Kanji that I found after she passed away. I still need to get them translated. There's something so special and personal about a person's handwriting on paper. But I have to say, one of the blessings of the Internet is the ability to find and connect with people! I think that's great you're reconnecting with a childhood neighbor. Love the pics! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. We have to find the best way to use handwriting and the internet to our advantages. I worry most about things being lost.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rita! Love your post! I'm writing my memoir...and have been for too many years! Actually I mostly "thought" about it way more than I actually wrote, but it's getting close to The End....hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have to start somewhere. Keep on writing.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful blog post! Yes, I agree, memoir can be the best gift we give ourselves.

    Hope your reunion goes well. I met up with an old friend from my childhood and it was glorious. We hadn't seen each other in almost 40 years! We talked and talked, laughed, cried a bit and just enjoyed being together.

    If you can, come visit my blog - Words from the Heart.

    Blessings! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm off to visit your blog.

      Delete
  4. I'm so tickled that through Becky Povich, I've found your blog!
    ... and gosh can I ever relate with these sentiments.
    Growing older (not necessarily wiser!), I've this "urge" to reconnect, or at least fill in the blanks ... and just last month I was able to complete one puzzle piece linking back to a long-ago friendship.
    Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and I'm so glad you are having success with filling in the blanks.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.