Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Remember When: Halloween

Last week at my writer's group we were discussing homemade versus store-bought costumes. I happened to have just scanned this one photo I have of me in a Halloween costume. Cleopatra (?) was obviously a store-bought with an uncomfortable plastic mask that was impossible to see through and a very thin little dress. I do remember it was blue but nobody probably saw it because in Kansas it would have been buried under a coat. I think we were allowed to wear them to school then but I don't really remember much about it.
Of course, I had to dress up our dog too. That's Smokey who any of you who've been around awhile know was my companion all through my childhood days. I don't have a clue what was on his little cape.
 
He was missing an eye because we had a burglar who kicked him in the head. Mom heard him barking the night before but didn't pay much attention as we tend to do. The neighbor found him lying in the yard the next morning. They saved him but not his eye. He lived many more years.
 
The only other costume I remember was my cowboy outfit which is in the photo I put in the banner for this blog. I was all in black.
 
Do you remember your costumes? Did you make costumes for your pets?

6 comments:

  1. Was Smokey a pekingese? She reminds me of a dog I had, Molly, who was a peke. What a character she was!

    My mom always made our costumes. It was a point of honor that her children wouldn't wear store-bought costumes which, frankly, were pretty flimsy in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Smokey was a pekingese. I think mom would have liked to make our costumes but as a working single mom with an obsessive need for a clean house buying was easier.

      Delete
  2. My mom always made my costumes also. The best she made when I was in the fourth grade--It was a Japanese kimono complete with an obi and a black wig. It was great. I always made my kids costumes also-as Teri says, it was a point of pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a few of Jessica's costumes but was usually pulling my hair out by the end of the "ordeal." Maybe next year I'll post some of those. Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Great costume Cleopatra! I alawys wanted to dress up as Cleopatra. You even have a septor to command your kingdom. Love your little doggie too! What great memories your photos evoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was funny when you wrote about Cleopatra in WIG and that Karen had a photo of her. She would be a fun character but I honestly don't think I had a clue at the time. lol

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.