Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Monday, October 1, 2012

Memoir Journal Workshop: Recap

One my way home from a trip to Washington I got an idea for a fun way to get people to write down their memories with pen and paper.

Although some of the ideas didn't pan out the prompts got people writing and that is what is important. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my composition book. I've had a few revelations and surprising memories surface even though this is something I do on a regular basis.

I'm going to continue the prompts on Thursdays. I will post seven prompts for the week. I hope all of you who have been writing will continue and if you find this post and want to start yourself you can go back to here. Then work your way forward through the posts to pick up all the past prompts.

One thing I started this week was writing as much detail as I could for each year of school. Teacher's names, classrooms, extra activities; anything that comes to mind. This was greatly helped by my school timeline that has the years I was in that grade, the teacher, and my age for reference. This goes from Kindergarten to Senior in high school.

I look forward to comments on how all the writers are doing and any other little "rewards" or "tricks" you have come up with to help keep yourself writing. One writer is using a different colored pen for each session. How fun!

Here are a few prompt to get you through the week until we get on the Thursday schedule:

More Prompts:

Have you ever had surgery?

Describe in detail riding your tricycle, bicycle, etc. Where did you ride? Did you have crashes? Did you ride with others?

Describe a visit to an amusement park.

What were some of the first aid techniques used in your family?
(We had the dreaded "red stuff:" mercurochrome.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Rita--i love your prompts am working my way through the prompts. I look forward to more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that, Janet. There will be plenty of prompts to keep you busy for awhile.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.