Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Monday, October 22, 2012

Busy Day

Yesterday started off with my talk at the Tempe Public Library about "Legends of Arizona Outlaws and Lawmen." It was fun even though the beautiful weather gave us a poor turn-out.
The facilities are gorgeous.

Of course an absolute must was a stop at the used book store. They have a marvelous collection and I found this "gem."
 
The back states, in part, "Gem of the Prairie exposes the workings of gangsters, pickpockets, prostitutes, and crooked politicians from the time "Slab Town" was settled to Prohibition days. The story of Chicago's golden age of crime climaxes with a dramatic account of the careers of "the biggest of the Big Shots": Big Jim Colosimo, Terrible Johnny Torrio, and the elusive Al Capone."
 
I'm anxious to read it and then pass it on to my friend, Susanne, who is from the Windy City.

Afterwards we went for my birthday dinner at Joe's Crab Shack. Crab stuffed mushrooms and a bucket of steamed snow crab each spurred us to need to do a bit of "walking-it-off" so we went down to Tempe Town Lake for a stroll.

I haven't been down there and it is really lovely. I haven't seen that many people with cameras since I was last at the Grand Canyon. There were some photo shoots going on along with many individuals taking advantage of the view and wonderful weather. Doug went on and on about how skinny one model was.
What a wonderful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.