Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 2 and 3, 2012

I've arrived safe and sound. I tried to post last night but kept losing the connection so I finally gave up and went to sleep.

Day Two was pretty eventful.

Besides the beautiful scenery through southern Utah I stopped at the Young Living farms and wandered around for awhile.




I use their essential oils and swear by them. I stocked up on a few while I was there. Especially lavender. Sadly they had already harvested the lavender fields so I didn't get to see them again.

Then came the endless drive through Salt Lake City. I remember driving for a long time and thinking I must be getting near the end of the city but there was a sign saying "Salt Lake City 23 miles" or whatever.
I was still in the suburbs. I don't know what it is about that city but I hate driving through it.

On across Utah and then Idaho. As I crossed the Snake River I glanced at my watch and saw that it was time for my Writers Inspiration Group. So I did think about you all and wondered what you were writing about.

The towns through Idaho tend to be small and off the freeway. I came to one, Jerome, that advertised some hotels and decided it was about time to find a place for the night. BAD MOVE. I got into that town and couldn't get out. How was I to know they were having a parade with horses and floats and all and I would end up at the end of it trying to get through Main Street. People were trying to get to their cars and they were everywhere. The one day of the year they have bumper-to-bumper traffic. I tried turning down a side street and they all dead ended and I couldn't find my way back to the highway. It was like being in the Twilight Zone.

Then I was stopped at a red light and all the horses started weaving in and out of the cars to get to the fair grounds along with all the people who had just left the parade. There was one especially beautiful black horse but I didn't appreciate him practically brushing the side of my car.

I finally found the highway and made my way to Bliss, Idaho and a good night's sleep if not a good wifi connection.

You'll have to wait until the next post to hear about why Flat Stanley was hiding his head

and the events of Day Three.

3 comments:

  1. Rita, I think you're awfully brave to make such a drive alone. You took some lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horses in the parade seem quite appropriate for you tho being stuck in the middle of traffic isn't. As you made your way over Snake River, we were snaking back to the 60's with old newspaper clippings that Susanne brought in. Lots of horses in them and society people from the day. Glad you made it to Bliss! Now have a blissful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you found bliss! Any photos of the horses weaving their way through the cars. Maybe those detours in life are for a reason. It was fun reading about a small town parade. Missed you at WIG!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.