Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Remember When: Summertime

 What are some of your summertime memories?

We played for hours and hours, long past dark, in the neighbors large grassy yard. Red Rover, catching June bugs, hide-and-seek, red-light-green-light, Simon says and collecting lightening bugs.

What about your ancestors? What did they do in the summer?
Church camp?

Fishing in the local creek?



Travelling? (My dad at Pike's Peak)
 Riding bicycles? (My uncles and their cousin.)


 Hiking and camping? (My husband and daughter in Arizona's White Mountains.)

Family reunions? (Four generations of my dad's family. He's the tall one in the back towards the right side of the photo.)

Relaxing on the front porch? (My husband and his mother.)

If you don't have family photos, old journals or letters to tell you what your ancestors did for summer fun try Googling the area they lived in and the years. Were there amusement parks? Were they near the beach or in the mountains? Did they travel? Did they visit the old home place?

It's possible to recreate your family stories if only with clues to what was happening. It's called bringing your ancestors to life.

2 comments:

  1. Rita--did you play "kick the can?" When I lived in Ohio when I was really little we played this--it was a type of hide and seek, but when you ran in, you had to kick the can. Not sure why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Janet, we didn't kick the can. I always thought kick-the-can was more of a soccer type of thing with each person trying to get the can away from the others.
      Guess it depends on when and where you were. lol

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.