Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman











Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesdays With Rita: Embracing New Technology

Things in the communication world change so quickly these days. I can't keep up with the names let alone owning or learning all this new technology. I have a plain flip phone and no real desire to move on to whatever is available now.

Today as I was on my way to lunch with a friend I saw a billboard announcing "Qwest is now..." something or other. Oh boy. More changes. As companies change or are bought out not only do we have to deal with new technology but new policies and probably higher rates.


This picture is my great grandmother, Nellie Keith Martin, running one of the first switchboards in Southwestern Kansas. She was a young single mother trying to make her way in the world. Can you believe that chair? Oh, how her back must have hurt at the end of the day.

 The back of the photo shows it was once in a black Victorian style album. The writing is my grandmothers: "Nellie Martin" and then mine "Fowler Meade, 1914" The penciled part I can't make out except for the date of Dec. 24, 1930 or 1936.

What wonders we have seen in our life time. Computers, cell phones, microwaves. We seem to take technology and new things for granted...our society accepts and even demands a constant array of new stuff.

I try to imagine what it was like to get the first telephone in your area. Or the first stove. Or sewing machine. Or electricity. We hear stories of people who wouldn't accept these "new-fangled contraptions" just like some of us don't have the latest iPod or tablet or mobile device or whatever...

Do you know any stories of your family embracing or ignoring new things?