Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesdays With Rita: Drive-In Theater

Last week a few people thought I was writing about drive-in movies. Well, I have to admit I was thinking about them so I thought I may as well write about those memories, too.

The Great Bend Drive-In was on the edge of town and looked very much like the one in this photo...except the playground was more on the other side. Remember those times of the whole family piling in the car, often with our own food and munchies, and heading to the drive-in. We often had to try a few spaces to get one of those window speakers that worked. Then, we  kids were allowed to go down to the playground while the parents stayed in the car. Remember that scene from "Grease" when John Travolta is down at the playground after having a fight with Olivia Newton John?

It was a treat to get to go to the snack bar. At least for us. The hamburgers were pretty bad but I have to admit I sometimes stop at a fast food drive-in and get the cheapo hamburger just because they remind me of those from the snack bar.

As I became a pre-teen they started having "battle of the bands." The concession stand had a flat roof and local rock and roll bands would set up on the roof and play all night long. This was a fun time for the kids. I don't remember a lot except "G-L-O-R-I-A" was a favorite. That and the beach song with the rolling drums.

The ad on my journal page is from one of those "battles." What I don't understand is it says Freddie and the Dreamers were there. Now I can't imagine this being the real Freddie and the Dreamers so I wonder if we had a local band that mimicked them. Do any of you even remember Freddie and the Dreamers? Okay, we'll go there another time.

I don't remember any of the movies but I'm sure I saw all the Westerns especially if John Wayne was in them. One summer I went to Colorado to stay with my sister. I went to the drive-in with my aunt and older cousin and we saw "A Hard Day's Night" starring the Beatles. That was so fun. Yes, I have that movie on video and still enjoy it...especially the accents.

Okay, so the drive-in movies theater has taken me all all kinds of tangents with my memories. How about you? What memories come to you when thinking about the drive-in?

Like the Beach Boys sang, "I love the drive-in."


Materials used for this journal page:
Black watercolor oil pastels
White gesso
Photos from Google Images and ad from "Great Bend Tribune" on the Internet
Matte gel medium
White ink
White Sharpie poster pen
Punch out letters



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful page, wonderful memories. I remember Freddie and the Dreamers! Don't have drive-ins here so I missed out on all the fun that would've been! Hope you are well. pen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I distinguish Freddie and the Dreamers from Gerry and the Pacemakers is Freddie did that flappy dance - sheesh. Besides, my girlfriend LOVED Gerry of Gerry and the Pacemakers and I liked his voice better....LOL. That was a fun time. Lori W at Art Camp for Women

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only been to a drive in movie once before...hubby and I went with another couple and we took the kids. We had a van full and it actually was a great time.
    I'd love to go with just my hubby one of these days...that mifht prove to be an interesting night!
    we do live near one afterall.....

    Ciao Bella!

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.