Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Friday, April 1, 2011

Challenges

April is National Poetry Month.

A few weeks ago I had dinner with the Fab Four. We are four writers who have developed a special bond and get together every few months to share our lives, our goals and accomplishments and give each other support in the writing life. Two of the ladies are poets. As one of them shared her poems I kept asking myself "how does she do that?" They started talking about the Web site of Robert Lee Brewer of Writer's Digest Magazine.

I checked it out and just in time for his poem-a-day challenge for April. I love challenges. They get me moving. I challenge myself to try new things regularly. How about you?
Through this link you will find daily prompts for your own poetry and be able to read what others come up with. Ready to join me in this challenge?

April is also Autism Awareness Month.
People dealing with autism ask we wear blue this month to raise awareness of the growing problem of autism. "Autism is defined by a certain set of behaviors and is a 'spectrum disorder' that affects individuals differently and to varying degrees." One in 110 children are autistic.

I think about these children, their families, teachers and our community at large. They are challenged every day, indeed every minute.

April is my month to write poetry and learn more about autism or maybe write a poem about autism.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you will share some of your poems Rita!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry now too? I love it! You've already proved your creativity can take you anywhere. I look forward to reading some of your new work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. would also like to see your poems..lovely photograph and you are right autism or autistic spectrum disorder (ASD)is a growing concern as families learn to live with it! A good book I am reading at the moment is "a friend like henry" by nuala gardner lent to me by a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.