Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesdays With Rita: Family Photo Clues


One of the best things about doing these weekly posts and digging through my boxes of photos is finding the details and memories that have lain hidden for so long.

That is me under my favorite tree in its springtime glory. It was a crabapple with little tiny sour apples that I loved to eat. There was a branch that fit me perfectly and I often set there waiting for my mom to come home from work. A few feet in front of me is our pekingese, Smokey. My best childhood friend.

Behind that is the old oak tree where my rope and wood swing hung. I loved to swing up high so I could see over the neighbors fence, garage and on down the street to all the other yards. I haven't thought of that swing in a long time. This picture brought back that feeling of soaring high up in the air and pumping my legs and body to fly higher and higher.

It occurred to me a while back that because our house was so small it might have been a garage or something at some time. Now I can see that it might be two houses put together or possibly an addition. It is so obvious from the two types of siding. I sure didn't remember that detail.

That window was over the kitchen sink. One of my favorite features of our house now is the window over the sink. I don't have any pictures of that kitchen. Sadly.

This is the house I grew up in. I remember it well. This picture and its clues make me wonder what clues are hiding in other family pictures. Pictures of where my various ancestors lived or worked. 

What clues could you find in your family photos?

4 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have so many snapshots. I don't have many and a lot of mine got ruined in a flooded basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like all your photos..the white of the house sums up american houses to me and the old car..lots of light and space..thanks for your nice comment on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking through old photos.
    (I also love the idea of turning yourself into a fairy - a few posts down.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, old photos are the BEST!!! And bring back such happy memories...Thank you so much for sharing yours!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.