Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesdays With Rita: Borders Closing

Ever since I've been a writer I've been pulled to coffee shops. Isn't that why laptop computers were invented? For writers in coffee shops? Well, how about fountain pens? My favorite way to write is with a fountain pen and spiral notebook. Even when I'm working on a project on the computer. If I get stuck I start using pen and paper and the ideas flow again. I write most of my articles in longhand first.

My favorite place to go has been the Borders on Cactus Road a few miles from my house. It is now gone and I feel like a chunk of my life is also gone.

I can't even imagine how many words I wrote in that store. How many books and magazines I browsed and bought. Pens, journals, books for my daughter and later my grandkids. It's all been in that store right there.

I went by one day with pen and paper in hand to have one last hot chai and do some writing. The coffee shop was already closed. I looked around but didn't find any of the books on my list so I left. Melancholy set in as I saw the empty shelves, darkened coffee shop and booksellers who would soon be out of a job.

Of course, that got me to thinking about special places. Or perhaps "charged places" as my friend and fellow writer, Stella Pope-Duarte calls them. She talks about the ocean and other places that renew your energy.

Going to the mountains or the ocean is great but I was lucky to find one close to home and easily accessible. Now I'm searching for another one. Here I am with a chai at the Barnes & Noble at Desert Ridge. A nice place but not one that was on my regular route. That is obviously changed.

Other charged places in my life are Tombstone, Arizona. When I go to that town my energy explodes. Seattle seems to do that to me, too. I love the ocean but I haven't been there in ages. Mountain tops seem to draw me more. Closer to home I like antique shops, art centers and Old Town Scottsdale.

What are your special places? Where do you unwind or get energized?
If you don't have a special place close to home take the time to find one.

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading the responses over at the Sketchbook group. In the past when I did try for artist dates and writing in the coffee shop or book store, I found I was too distracted to get anything coherent on the paper. The hermit syndrome really is strongly in place here. Since I turned 59 (now 60) I have had this over-riding conversation in my head saying "Life is too short to waste with fools..." so I stay home - a lot. Too much. I have started getting out and interacting with groups again though I don't have a favorite place. I think my desire for an art journaling club (IRL) has to do with wanting to be with others, but still have my pens, journals and paint there too. Why do you think I started Art Camp for Women - I love Snow Mountain Ranch, and I love meeting other women, but I want all my 'stuff' with me too in case inspiration strikes! I am sorry this is so 'stream of consciousness' but there it is. Thanks for hosting this writing op. Lori from sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time we went to Charlotte and stayind in South Park we were so bummed to find that one of our favorite bookstores had also closed it's doors. My sister and I pouted about it all weekend...lol No matter where we go, we always go to the local bookstores to hang out. I'd rather go there than the movies or shopping. Here at home...when the weather is nice I hang out in my hammock and read whenever I can grab and afternoon. When it's cooler weather I go to my local B&N, usually in the beginning of the month when all the new magazines are out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo love the idea of places. I usually think of people. This kinda has to do with a current project of mine, in a way

    If you have time and interest, I'd be honored to have you check out a little project I'm trying to get off the ground! I'd be happy to extend the mailing date if necessary.
    http://acommunityartproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/project.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.