Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesdays With Rita: Generations, Nellie Keith Martin

These two pictures have me thinking about generations. How each one affects the next. And the younger ones affect the ones that came before. This is me with my great grandmother Nellie. I remember her smell, her feel, and her kindness. She was loved by the entire family.

She was born in Illinois and travelled West in a covered wagon. They settled in some dugouts in Southwestern Kansas. You can still see the shape of the dugouts in the side of "Keith Canyon." They later moved to Fowler where Nellie's father built the "Keith House." It is still standing as far as I know.

This photo was taken in Montezuma, near Dodge City Kansas; thus the Dodge City paper in her lap.




The next photo is Nellie with most of her great
grandchildren. That's my sister up upper left
corner and me in the lower right corner.
One child is missing and three more were born after this photo.
Nellie only had one child and still got a good flock of
descendants.

All of these children now have children, some of those have children, and there is even one in the next generation. Kind of mind-boggling.

And that makes me think I just have to post this wonderful picture of that newest generation.

I leave you with this bad hair day.
Smile.
Post your stories or include a link to your stories so we can all enjoy your generations.

5 comments:

  1. Cherished photos. I barely unfortunately I have pictures from when I was small and none of my grandparents. Lucky you, congratulations. A greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheeee...that is adorable and maybe even a little scary! lol

    looking through old family photos is such a fun trip into our pasts!
    thanks for sharing!

    ciao bella

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo of you and your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Mom! Wow, we sure did look alike as kids! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well those were definitely the days when people had lots of kids, weren't they? These days one or two kids have one or two more kids...not even enough to get up a game of hopscotch! xo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.