Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Sunday, October 31, 2010

Inspiration November

Have you read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford? I read it last winter for my book discussion group and when I put it down I told myself I was going to study it as a way to better my own writing. It is melodic, it is lyrical and as he described it "a really simple love story." The kind of story many of us dream of writing. With one thing and another I haven't picked it up since; until I went to hear him speak at the Phoenix Public Library today.

We laughed we almost cried and we were inspired. Jamie said he was a graphic designer and when he got home he would write which he considered playing in the sandbox. After Hotel became a best seller he was able to make writing his day job and thus plays in his sandbox every day. He was lucky as many would say but he also worked hard, did months of research and more months of writing and editing. Mostly the sense I got from him is he wrote from his heart...and that is what came through the story and touched so many readers around the world.

When I visited Seattle this spring I made a quick visit to the Panama Hotel where the story begins. It is now a tea shop on the edge of Chinatown. A place of creaking floorboards, vintage photos and the remains of a bygone era.

Writing is something many of us have to do. Whether it is jotting in a journal, morning pages, words and sentences here and there or the commitment to write a novel about something we feel passionate about... we have to write. I write every day. I have to put pen to paper. In the past couple of years I've gone past words to visual journals and mixed-media art. The most important thing I have learned is that you just have to do it.

Sometimes it isn't easy to stay inspired so I push myself to stay in tune to the world. This blog has opened my eyes to so many things...I see beauty all around me because I'm watching for that little gem I can pass on. I write every day and I try to do art every day. I don't always succeed so I set up challenges or find them in BlogLand.

For years I was part of the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I've decided not to do that this year. But I have joined Tammy over at Daisy Yellow who is doing NaNoJouMo and will be inspiring us with one word a day to get us journaling. The second challenge is from Leah at Creative Every Day. This challenge is to make a piece of art every day. A postcard, a tag, a journal page, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

November is a wonderful month. Full of thanksgiving, fall colors, family and inspiration. Where will you find your inspiration? Come join me in Inspiration November.

3 comments:

  1. I'm inspired this month, too! I'll be (fingers crossed) finishing the first draft of my novel-in-progress this month. Wishing you endless November creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita;
    Thanks so much for that recommendation. I am always seeking out recommendations for books as I HATE reading books and not liking them. I am a writer too but it has fallen to the wayside due to my art journaling when I can. I don't have as much time to write as I would like.
    Thanks for sharing your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita,

    That was a lovely tribute. Your writing every day is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.