Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Thursday, August 19, 2010

Treasures

I woke up early today and made myself get up and out the door with Maggie. It isn't as nice to walk around the suburbs of Phoenix as it was the tiny town of Naches but I'm determined to keep up the habit.

Although Maggie is a great dog I really missed walking with the boys. They were always seeing new things, a petal, a leaf, a dandelion, a bird... all those wonderful things we, as adults, tend to miss. I kept reminding myself to tune in to what was around me. There wasn't a lot of fun yard art or sprinklers but I did find beautiful Bird of Paradise in bloom. Note to self: take the camera on all walks.

One day as the boys and I were walking along the canal/ditch we spotted a robin. We all stopped and watched as that robin worked and worked at something in the grass. Pretty soon he pulled up a big, fat juicy worm and started across the walkway. I tried to steal forward and get a photo but he was too fast. I wasn't sure if he was protecting himself or that worm but he was gone in a flash. Here's the picture I did get. The robin is that little spot to the left of the tree.

And cropped and enlarged which I just learned how to do. YIPPEE.

See the worm? That was his treasure for the day. My memories are mine.
Have a great day...and take your camera.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't kids great--the way they see and marvel at the smallest things! Taking your camera is a good idea--I can never remember mine--but I think if we made a commitment to take one photo a day of something in our surroundings--not people--we would learn to see the things we don't normally see. i keep thinking that one of these months I will try taking a photo every day for a month--not my original idea--saw it on someone's blog, but I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! You're using your new skills! Thanks for bringing the early bird closer.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.