Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"




I gave my talk at ASU College Emeritus today. The subject was genealogy and memoir. Mostly giving people ideas on how to get started in gathering their own history.

I don't get over to ASU often so I thought it would be nice to arrive early and walk around the campus a bit. Also, I love to roam around college bookstores. They always have great stuff for writers, artists and anybody who loves paper, books and pens.
(I found a cork dip pen nib holder.) It was a nice day but threatening rain. Well, part way back to my car the sky opened up and I soon resembled a drowned rat..

In the car I was listening to an old B. J. Thomas cd. Remember "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head?" That really wasn't planned.

I then drove over to the golf course club house where the meeting was being held. It it was pouring so hard I couldn't see and missed the driveway. I went down and turned around. By the time I got back to the parking lot the wind had picked up. I had a small suitcase, a computer bag, a plastic bag and my purse to carry in and couldn't handle the umbrella. The wind was so bad it wouldn't have helped much anyway. (I wish I'd had those galoshes I wrote about in my last post.)

Well, I'm happy to say we had a good turnout. Some friends came just for me (thank you dear friends) and it was an enjoyable time. I sold a book and best of all I inspired some people to locate their own family pictures, heirloom and stories.

Luckily the rain abated and it was really nice but windy when we came out. I caught this picture of the flags. I also got one of the golf course. And, NO, I didn't get any of the talk. Besides feeling like a drowned rat I rather looked like one.

I gave everybody a prompt to write from. We didn't have time to read them but I'd like to hear from some of you...
What was your favorite place to shop as a child? (Remember to use the five senses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.