Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Thursday, January 14, 2010

Doing Nothing

Hello Friends,

I'm reading the first chapter of Walking In This World by Julia Cameron and one of the tasks she assigns is to "do nothing." She says to put on some calming and expansive music stretch out, relax and follow your train of thought...for fifteen minutes.

This reminded me of a scene in Winnie the Pooh. Christopher Robin is sitting in a tree and Pooh walks up and asks what he's doing. "Oh, Nothing," CR replied. Pooh asked what that was and CR answered that it was what you do when somebody asks you what you are doing and you say, "Nothing."

I love that scene. When I got to thinking about this I realized that although there are short periods when I do nothing if somebody should happen to call or ask what I'm doing I would feel compelled to tell them what I've been doing. I can't admit to doing nothing. As adults we need to have that time to "do nothing" and replenish our inner being, and perhaps admit to it.

What are you doing?

2 comments:

  1. Nothing but looking at blogs on the computer!! There is an old Spanish proverb that says "How lovely it is to do nothing and then to rest afterward." AHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll brew a pot of coffee and then sit myself down to do nothing. Thank you for the idea! It's great to relax and let our creativity have a chance to regroup.

    I'll let you know if it helps me get more pages written today :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.