Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Thursday, January 28, 2010

All Around the World


Awhile back I received an email from the Editor of the Tombstone Times (www.tombstonetimes.com) with some exciting news. A subscriber from Canada who travels around the world (especially Australia) regularly, sent her a little package from his visit to the Great Wall of China. It included a postcard, a paper coaster from Bejing, an empty jasmine tea wrapper and a small Chinese coin.

He wrote, "Sitting here at Days Inn reading the November 2009 edition of the Tombstone Times. I will leave it here with my Chinese Guide who has taken me all around Bejing in his car. He is familiar with the heroes of the old west like Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, etc... My guides names is... I will give him the Tombstone Times for his library."

So now my article on young Billy Clanton who died at the O.K. Corral is on somebody's shelf in Bejing. Who'd a thunk? It always amazes me that our Old West is so popular with people all over the world. I have made friends in Germany, Australia and England just though my interest in the West.

Two things strike a cord with me. The little package of simple things that are now precious to Janice (and would be wonderful for any art journaler). That something I have a part of has reached the opposite side of the globe and is being appreciated by someone there. How many people has that article reached? How many people has this man shared a little bit of culture with? How can I continue to make a small presence in the world?

Have a happy day.
Rita

2 comments:

  1. It's the small things that keep us seeing the beauty of each day.

    I will have a happy day!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've gone international!! How wonderful is that??

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.